Marriage License Requirements
Applications for a marriage license must be made by both parties. Both parties need to be present and must present all required documents. Applicants must present the following:
- A current driver’s license, current state ID or passport. A list of other acceptable documents is available upon request. For more details, click HERE.
- A certified copy of a birth certificate or a certified birth card for both parties. Louisiana residents may purchase a birth card for this purpose in the Marriage Office during operating hours. Non-residents may apply to have this requirement waived Monday thru Friday during normal business hours ONLY by a Judge of the First City Court.
- Must know both Social Security numbers, but no documentation is required. If no number has been issued, that person must sign a statement to that effect and must appear in person. This form is available in the Marriage Office.
- If previously married, a certified copy of the final divorce decree is required.
- If widowed, a certified copy of death certificate of the former spouse is required.
- $27.50 for marriage license in Orleans Parish, payable by cash, check or money order only. Fee is non-refundable. $5.00 for each additional copy of marriage certificate desired by the customer. Credit/Debit Cards are NOT ACCEPTED for payment.
- LOUISIANA RESIDENTS – 72-hour waiting period period between issue of license and wedding, may be waived by a judge. Bring marriage license to judge at First or Second City Court, 421 Loyola Avenue, Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. The license is valid for 30 days.
- NON LOUISIANA RESIDENTS – An officiant may waive the 72-hour waiting period upon application of the parties giving “serious and meritorious reasons”.
- Both people in the couple are needed to appear in person to fill out the application. Contact Orleans Parish Marriage Office for exceptions.
Orleans Parish Marriage Office
1450 Poydras Street, Suite 407
New Orleans, LA 70112
Hours: 8:15am to 3:15pm
Mon-Fri (excluding State holidays)
Licenses are valid in any Parish (County) in the State of Louisiana
www.oph.dhh.state.la.us or click here
For map and directions [CLICK HERE]
Second City Court – Historic Algiers Courthouse
(walking distance from the Canal St./Algiers Ferry)
225 Morgan Street
New Orleans, LA 70114
Hours: 9:00am to 3:00pm
(Please arrive before 2:15pm)
Mon-Fri (excluding State holidays)
For map and directions [Click here]
Copy of Orleans Marriage Certificates
- Instructions for ordering Marriage Certificates Click here
- Application for Certified Copy of Orleans Parish Marriage Certificate [HERE]
- Marriage Officiant Registration Affidavit Click here
- 72 hour Waiver Certificate Click here
House of Broel
202 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130
Ph: 504-522-2220 | email@example.com
Romance In New Orleans
Second-line Street Parade Permit Information (updated 2/2017)
File an Application for a Parade Permit if the event will involve the use of public streets for a parade, jazz funeral, secondline, or other mobile street event. Link to application with the City of New Orleans One Stop: Click here
After One Stop receives Parade Permit a notification of the event will be sent to the New Orleans Police Department, Special Events Division and they will contact the organizer to finalize all details. Contact: NOPD Special Events Division, 504-658-6201 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A permit is required to hold your wedding or take photographs in Jackson Square. For details: 504-658-2176 or Events in Jackson Square.
Charter a Red or Green streetcar for private events – a unique New Orleans
Experience contact Diana Mateo Hernandez with RTA 504-827-8357. For Frequently Asked Questions and Charter Request Form Click here
French Market Rental
- Washington Artillery Park – Cannon Platform & Amphitheater
- Dutch Alley
- Cafe du Monde Corridor
- Latrobe Park
- Market Pavilions
- French Market Event Rate Card Click here
For Complimentary wedding assistance in New Orleans click here